Current:Home > StocksJudge gives Elon Musk and Twitter until the end of the month to close their deal -Capitatum
Judge gives Elon Musk and Twitter until the end of the month to close their deal
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:51:25
A Delaware judge has set a deadline of October 28 for Tesla CEO Elon Musk to make good on his promise to buy Twitter.
Chancellor Kathaleen McCormick postponed a high-stakes trial that was to start in a little more than a week.
The billionaire and the social media company agree on the price tag of $54.20 a share, or about $44 billion, but are bickering over the terms of a merger that's been on the rocks almost since it was signed six months ago.
Musk had asked the court to call off the trial because he was willing to buy the company after all. Twitter had resisted, saying that, without a court trial looming, Musk might back out of the agreement still. McCormick left the door open to reschedule the trial in November if the parties can't close the deal by her deadline.
After months of arguing in court to get out of a binding contract that he signed, Musk had a change of heart earlier this week. He told Twitter he was willing to proceed with the deal under the original terms.
"Twitter will not take yes for an answer," his lawyers wrote in a filing Thursday.
Twitter is wary because Musk tried to walk away from the binding contract before, in July, after publicly questioning the amount of fake accounts on the social network.
In a filing Thursday, Twitter said it was unwilling to trust Musk, calling his renewed proposal "an invitation to further mischief and delay."
Twitter's lawsuit against Musk was wrapping up its discovery phase and moving full steam ahead toward trial, with Musk scheduled for a deposition on Thursday.
His legal team wrote that the financing for the deal is all lined up and ready to go. But Twitter told the court that a bank representative said one of Musk's lenders hasn't yet received what they need from Musk to close the transaction.
Musk first agreed to buy Twitter in April, then publicly expressed his misgivings about the deal as tech stocks slumped.
Now, six months later, Twitter's lawyers contend Musk owes its stockholders the original amount of $44 billion, plus interest.
veryGood! (85129)
Related
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Blake Lively appears to take aim at Princess Kate's photo editing drama: 'I've been MIA'
- How Chrishell Stause and G Flip Keep Their Relationship Spicy
- Is milk bad for you? What a nutrition expert wants you to know
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- For ESPN announcers on MLB's Korea series, pandemic memories come flooding back
- Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire merges original cast and new talent 40 years after the movie premiered
- North West Gives First On-Camera Interview After Announcing First Album
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Reba McEntire Denies Calling Taylor Swift an Entitled Little Brat
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- A teen couldn't get size 23 shoes until Shaq stepped in. Other families feel his struggle.
- The spring equinox is here. What does that mean?
- ‘Loved his family’: Obituary infuriated Michigan teen shot in face by stepdad
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- In the ‘Armpit of the Universe,’ a Window Into the Persistent Inequities of Environmental Policy
- Kristin Cavallari Shares Photo of Boyfriend Mark Estes Bonding With Her Son
- In Ohio campaign rally, Trump says there will be a bloodbath if he loses November election
Recommendation
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Reba McEntire Denies Calling Taylor Swift an Entitled Little Brat
Lamar Odom Reacts to Khloe Kardashian’s Message Honoring Brother Rob Kardashian
What channel is truTV? How to watch First Four games of NCAA Tournament
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
'SNL' cast member Marcello Hernandez's essentials include an iPad, FIFA and whisky
Biden to sign executive order aimed at advancing study of women’s health
N.C. State's stunning ACC men's tournament title could be worth over $5.5 million to coach